Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cave Editorial | Thursday 6 August 09

I feel like writing an editorial - was sitting outside this evening after my current evening ritual of feeding my pond fish, turtle, frogs, filling my bird feeder, watering my flower beds and my thoughts drifted to a particular day last winter. It was the day after my small grandson was murdered and my backyard filled with over 100 doves - a sight I had never nor yet again have seen.

Birds have been said to be messengers of the spirit - and those 100+ doves that I counted that day from my kitchen window - filled my soul ... a sad and dark day that now seems almost like a lifetime ago.

Normally at this time of the summer my butterfly bushes, honeysuckle vines, etc. are busy with the activity of an array of butterflies. It had always dazzled me at the number of beautiful colors carried by those little creatures that seem to dance from flower to flower. Where have all the butterflies gone?

In 1985 I experienced my only hurricane - Hurricane Gloria. Tonight sitting outside with my cup of coffee, the energy felt as it did when I was waiting for the 2nd half of that hurricane and was within the stillness of its center. Perhaps if I could paint this feeling of energetic stillness with a word - the word ominous comes immediately to mind.
  • ominous: 1589, from L. ominosus "full of foreboding," from omen (gen. ominis) "foreboding" (see omen).
  • omen : 1582, from L. omen "foreboding," from Old L. osmen, of unknown origin; perhaps connected with the root of audire "to hear."
I have chuckled at the idea of religion selling the idea of a type of insurance policy for the afterlife resort of heaven ... knowing many convinced that heaven is their afterlife destination and many of those individuals ... I would prefer not spending an eternity around.
  • heaven: O.E. heofon "home of God," earlier "sky," possibly from P.Gmc. *khemina- (cf. Low Ger. heben, O.N. himinn, Goth. himins, O.Fris. himul, Du. hemel, Ger. Himmel "heaven, sky"), from PIE base *kem-/*kam- "to cover" (cf. chemise). Plural use in sense of "sky" is probably from Ptolemaic theory of space composed of many spheres, but it was also formerly used in the same sense as the singular in Biblical language, as a translation of Heb. pl. shamayim. Heavenly "beautiful, divine" is from 1460, often (though not originally) with reference to the celestial "music of the spheres;" weakened sense of "excellent, enjoyable" is first recorded 1874.
It is my belief that it is through those little energetic objects we casually call words that information and knowledge is transmitted from generation to generation. When my personalized brain digests a word such as heaven - it will not be the same way that your personalized brain digests this same little 6 letter English word. I am sure most individuals could care less that it carries an etymological history leading one to:
  • PIE Proto-Indo-European, the hypothetical reconstructed ancestral language of the Indo-European family. The time scale is much debated, but the most recent date proposed for it is about 5,500 years ago.
I find it fascinating for example the multiplicity of ways humans can transmit the idea of "to cover" as in the word heaven's PIE base *kem-/*kam- "to cover" (see above). Very applicable to my own personal belief that this seemingly hardened material world we see by means of our physical outward focused sense preceptors ... is but a cloak or cover ... the 'ol coming down to the vibrational zone in our space suits and thinking we are but only the space suit idea.

For decades now I have referred to this particular EARTH WALK that I am experiencing in this particularized energy form ... and have likewise been called Earthwalker due to to my referencing this earth walk I've been on now for pushing 60 years. My little home is what I term as a manifestation of my soul ... my own creation and what I call my spiritual oasis. Little home is quite literal given it is a one-bedroom! I've frequently sat outside in my backyard in the evenings with my cup of coffee and contemplated ... that I hoped that if there was my heaven after death ... it would be just like what I was experiencing ... mosquitoes and all. What would my beautiful blue dragonflies do without its mosquitoes? I definitely want dragonflies in my heaven!
What Does a Dragonfly Symbolize
Dragonflies are adaptive insects belonging to order odonata. They are more powerful during the summer, under the effects of sunlight and warmth. Their lifecycle starts in water and they move to air after maturity. However, they tend to live close to water. Well, what does a dragonfly represent? A dragonfly represents monsoon and rain. It also represents uncertain or unexpected changes in the climate or weather of a particular place. Being a creature of the wind, the dragonfly totem represents change. Its iridescent wings are extremely sensitive to the slightest breeze. They remind us to heed where the proverbial wind blows. A dragonfly is also a creature of the water and hence, it is a symbol of subconscious or dreaming mind and thoughts.

What does a dragonfly symbolize? A dragonfly is a symbol of sense of self, which comes with maturity. It represents renewal, positive forces and power of life. A pair of mating dragonflies is believed to be a symbol of love. The animal symbolism of a dragonfly is associated with good luck, prosperity, swiftness, strength, peace, purity and harmony. These symbolic meanings of a dragonfly are popular, specifically, with the Japanese and Native Americans. In Japanese paintings, dragonflies represent new light and joy. Dragonflies help you see through your illusions and allow your own light to shine in a new vision. They remind us to pay attention to our deeper thoughts and desires. In Japanese culture, dragonflies are considered as a symbol of strength, happiness and courage. They are often mentioned in Japanese literature and art, especially haiku. In ancient mythology, Japan was recognized by the name, Akitsushima that means ‘Land of the Dragonflies’. According to the Japanese people, a dragonfly is associated with the rice plant’s spirit. To some Native Americans, dragonflies are the souls of the dead. In England, dragonflies were considered to be evil and dangerous. They were nicknamed as ‘horse stingers’.

A dragonfly lives a very short life and it tries to live to the fullest with what it has. I think this is the greatest lesson for all of us. We should try to enjoy every moment of life with what we have.
To HEAR a silence like that within the center of hurricane is to hold awareness of that which encircles one's beingness. Having grown up and lived in tornado country, I carry intelligent respect for the power within a storm.

There are great storms ahead wherein many within our nation will be taught the difference between the words WANT and NEED. I still recall San Jose, CA when I was visiting during the time period of older brother's death and the words of a yuppy saying, "how can anyone live with only one bathroom?". Wonder what the price of a roll of toilet paper will be once the dollar collapses?